Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I've lost my motivation to sew!

I'm not sure what's going on. I suspect it might have something to do with the fabric I've chosen to sew. It's not like me to choose such bright colors. I haven't even prepared it and it's been here for over a month.

I'm also lacking in confidence. I've tried a few simple projects on the Viking and although I love how it sews, the projects themselves have been disasters. How hard is a headband? Or to makeover a skirt? Evidently I need patterns again!

I compare my skills to what I've seen on the net and sorely come up lacking. There are some beautiful seamstresses out there and I'm not one of them yet!

Another issue I'm having is trying to picture fabric and pattern together. It must come with experience and the last time I sewed anything substantial, it was out of satin and lace. Nice project but fairly simple in design.

Not sure how I'm going to deal with this yet but I'm going to start by adjusting my attitude. The bright coral linen and knit is going to be prewashed in the next few days. I'm also going to do the beige linen but I think I'm going to save that for a few TNT patterns - if I ever get that far! It's far too nice to start out on. I don't want it to become another wadder!

Edited to add: Now I know why I feel unmotivated - I've crashed again - still thinking about sewing though! :)

2 comments:

Dixie said...

Don't get discouraged, Cathy. My sewing mojo comes and goes without warning. You're bound to have projects that don't turn out as you hoped, but your skills will improve with time.
Pairing fabric and patterns successfully does have a learning curve. The more you do it, the easier it will become. If you're not sure you've got the right fabric for a certain pattern, or vice versa, feel free to blog about it and take a poll from your readers. Or ask about it on SG. We're all here to help each other out!

Cathy said...

Thanks for the emotional support Dixie - appreciate it and can use all the tips I can get! At one time I thought I was a pretty good seamstress but that was a few years ago! Just have to get my groove back! :)