Thursday, March 8, 2012

Setting Up My Sewing Space

I've only recently gotten back into sewing after a long hiatus. My Mom taught me to sew when I was in my teens. I wish I had that vintage Singer now! I've had Kenmores, Brothers, two more Singers and am using a Euro-Pro now. How I wish Singers were built as well as they were when I first learned to sew. I am attached to the memories of that machine's stitches. I think it's time to invest in a good machine in this era, don't you?

I need a new machine, a layout/cutting area, a sewing desk or table, a pressing area and an alteration area. It's going to be tight!

Machines

For days I've been researching better quality machines. I hear Bernina is the best but the machine and accessories are expensive! I would be getting a basic used machine in comparison to buying another brand with more features. I want to play! I've checked into Pfaff, Janome, and Juki.

The Pfaff's "touch screen" requires a stylist to use. I can remember losing stylist's when I was using a PDA for work in the 90s. I lost those stylists frequently and had to keep an extra supply around. My PDA wouldn't work without a special kind. I don't want to go through that with a sewing machine.

Janome's also have a good reputation. I have nothing against them really but I remember a friend's New Home machine that was tempermental. From what I understand, Janome bought New Home many years ago and while it doesn't affect the quality of the machines now, I can't help but think there might be some left over manufacturing methods from New Home. No thank you!

Have you evern wished you could follow the name brand buy outs in sewing machine companies from the past? In addition, I'd like to know where they are manufactured. Oh well, that's another post.

I've finally settled on a Juki 600.  (Edited March 12, 2012 - I've changed my mind!) It has many more features and attachments than anything I've compared - and I've compared a lot of them! It has many one step buttonholes and the video on their website is impressive. Another impressive fact is that they originally were industrial machines and have brought that technology into the home sewing arena. The best deal I've found is on the HSN website. They add extra's to the package for the same price.

Cut, Sew and Press and Alterations

I'll need a layout and cutting area first. I have a very small apartment and have been using 4' of counter space in my kitchen for cutting and sewing. It's a pain not to have a dedicated space so I've decided to combine my bedroom and sewing room. It won't be an easy task since my bedroom is also small. I presently have a queen size bed, night table, a dresser that is over 6' long, a desk and shelves, and a computer printer stand in there. Amazing since it's so small! Yes, there is enough room to walk through but just barely. In my 3' deep closet, I have another small dresser and a set of shelves along opposing walls.


Something like this from Pinterest.
I think if I trade my queen for a twin, give the desk and computer stand to my son and rearrange the room that I would have enough room for a sewing area. The first half as you walk into the door will be my sleeping area (closest to the closet) and the area where the windows are will be my sewing area. Screens on each side of the room to separate the two would be nice - but doubt that will happen!

Perhaps I could combine the layout/cutting area with the pressing area. I probably won't need the two areas simultaneously often enough to justify separate spaces. That just leaves the sewing and alteration area with my dressform. Organization is a bear in small spaces!

On the other hand, I could just get a daybed for the living area and have my bedroom for my sewing room! Sounds like a good idea but to be honest, that probably wouldn't happen this year either! :)

No comments: