Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ordered a Serger - Brother 1034d

I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered the Brother serger from Amazon. I'm suppose to get it Tuesday and will post more as I learn how to use it. I love wearing knits and as much as I like how my sewing machine handles them, I thought a serger would be a wise investment.

I found an inexpensive source for thread at eBay. I haven't done comparison shopping but $5 seems like a good buy to me and they offer free shipping. Even though you can use regular thread on the Brother serger, from what I've read it uses quite a bit and cones would seem a logical choice. I'm going to use basic colors: white, black and a neutral. I can't see matching my thread to the fabric as I would with regular sewing but I'll let you know how that works out.

Pattern Review has a good thread on using your little Brother 1034d. I've also found a good ruffle tutorial at Cole's Corner and Creations. It's at google docs but I simply emailed it to myself. LBG Studio has a few helpful tips as well about gathering and here's a tutorial on doing a rolled hem with your serger.

On a different note, I've finally bought rechargeable batteries for my camera and will take pictures of the quilt and nightgown I've sewn for my grandchildren. Finally! :)

No comments: