Saturday, July 14, 2012

What is it that makes this capsule work?

Grey, Navy and Purple Professional or Church Wardrobe

I've made a lot of capsule images on Pinterest but this one works. I've researched wardrobe capsules until I'm blue in the face and rarely get it right. No matter where I look with this one, all the pieces seem to fit but I'm not sure exactly why.

I prefer to have a professional image for church but this would work for either work or worship. Perhaps to make it more realistic for daily use, I would add a few pair of slacks and nix the heels. Even the boots I've chosen here are a little high for my comfort. My heel wearing days are over. Flats are at least wearable!

Another unrealistic issue is the price of some of these pieces. It's very easy to window shop and not have to stay in a preset budget but then, isn't that what Pinterest all about?

I've been trying to steer away from black and tan or beige as my colors and I feel good in these as well. The style also is elegant which I like but another area that is unrealistic is related to my health. At times, simply dressing is a difficult achievement, let alone looking this put together.

Most of these silhouettes I can imitate with patterns and fabric. Pamela's Patterns have a good pattern for a pencil skirt if I can choose the kind of fabric that wouldn't bag in the seat. It's something I worry about when choosing knits. The jackets are easy enough to copy and to be honest, the grey sweater I would probably purchase. I like the drape of the grey maxi skirt but I feel it might be hard to get that exact silhouette which I like. Not too much fullness or too little. Just right. Pamela also has a pattern for a bias cut skirt and I wonder if it might be close?

Christine Jonson has a pattern for a top similiar to the white blouse and I know I've seen something similiar somewhere else but at the moment, I'm not sure where that would be! :) The grey blazer looks like a Chanel type jacket.

One thing that might make this work is that I have coordinated the colors of the tops with the purse, shoes and scarves. The trench I feel would go with any of the outfits. No matter the colors I settle on for my aging self - I would like to be able to make those colors work in capsule as well. It's not as easy as you would think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this and I love it. It would make a perfect church wardrobe for me too.