Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Magic Pencil Skirt - Post 1 - Preparation

This picture is actually lighter than the fabric but without the flash, you couldn't see the print. It's a bit more subtle than this would appear.

You can barely see the darker "stripes" but I'm wondering where to place them when cutting this out. I'm thinking if I place them so that the darker is on the outer part of the skirt that it would give the illusion of a smaller silhouette. What do you think?

The knit is actually a nice piece from Fabric Mart. It washes and dries nicely - and I can also drip dry the fabric and it looks as nice as drying it.

The first thing the directions has you do is measure your high hip - mine 39", your hip - mine 38" and your thighs - mine 36". That puts me into a size small. My goodness - I've not worn a size small in a few years. I knew there was a reason I liked her patterns! :)

I choose the natural waist because I have a little fluff above the waistline and it's not something I care to emphasize by using a high waist design.

Rut row Rodger! It has you lay the fabric with two folds and selvages in the middle. Wonder how this is going to work out considering this fabric?

To be honest, not so well! The fabric is very drapey and it's difficult to lay out. What to do? Remain flexible! I do have to say that I am more and more impressed with Fabric Mart. I've tried to lay out a few different fabrics that I ordered from them and they have sent me an extra 3/4 of a yard of fabric on two lengths that I ordered. Now I'm not one to waste fabric and with the difficulty of laying this out, I have to think this would make up better in an overlayer.

I just happened to have ordered a nice black ponte knit that I think will make a wonderful Magic Pencil Skirt.

Did I mention that I forgot to trace the size small? :)

To be continued!

No comments: